Monday, February 7, 2011

Team Sean & Becky

Dress #1
This dress is inspired by collected pieces of discarded cigarette boxes. These dress will be covered with these pieces like scales and accessorized with a little hat and a cigarette girl tray.  Commentary on the cigarettes smoked to make the dress will be written on the tray and care will be taken to cover as much of the outfit as possible with recognizable pieces of cigarette boxes, including the foil lining and plastic cover.

Dress #2
This dress is made completely of leftover materials from other projects & no money will be spent.  The body is covered in strips of torn fabric with raw edges & threads hanging all over.  Paper tags from fabric samples will be tucked into the bodice and hanging from the hem, and dyed paper scrap from fabric rolls will be added to the asymmetrical hem.  On the back of the belt or back of the bodice will be written "REMNANTS" with either spray paint or appliqued fabric scraps.  A collar necklace made of the same materials will complete the look.

Dress #3
This dress will be made of clear vinyl layered over a simple fabric dress.  The vinyl will have all the pattern maker's  markings indicating grain, pleats, sew lines & pockets written on it with a marker.  The dress underneath will be a simple version of the outer "pattern" with contrasting fabric on the pockets, cuffs & collar.  The dress will be a prim shirt dress shape with inspiration taken from a dressmaker's scrapbook from 1947.

2 comments:

  1. As a whole, I really love the different materials you will be using. They are all very interesting and I think these will be very fun dresses. Sorry, I know I'm supposed to say something more than just I like it but that's pretty much it.

    -lacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex Hungerford:
    Dress 1 and 2- I really like how in both of these designs you guys are using materials that you have both collected over a long period of time, I feel like that gives each piece a personal touch. You both are letting something go to create something new, I find that neat. I saw that on dress number 2 you will be using REMNANTS as your text on the back of the design. One suggestion I would make is that it might look too literal, maybe use another word to symbolize, leftovers, or extra, or even something to do with transforming one material and creating something completely new. This is just a suggestion, I feel like, depending on what you guys are going for, the word remnants might work out great, I just thought id let ya know what I thought :) Great designs guys!

    ReplyDelete