Sunday, February 6, 2011

Blog 5-TEAM Alex and Cliff


Penny Concept

For this dress I was directly inspired by one of my favorite graphic designers, Stefan Sagmiester. One of his works, “Obsessions make my life worse and my work better” he used 250,000 pennies to spell this out. The results are beautiful because of the way the different toned pennies give the letters depth and dimension.

In our rendition, I wanted to get across the message that many people find the penny pointless and for some reason, the government has not come up with a solution to at least make the penny cost effective to produce. On average, pennies cost 1.4 cents to make, making penny production a loss to the government, especially when the US Mint produces billions of pennies annually.

Our communication strategy is to construct a dress strong enough to hold the weight of thousands of pennies. The pennies will either be completely covering the dress, or it will wrap around the dress in an intricate design. To make any type stand out from the rest of the pennies, I will clean the pennies with vinegar, which brings their shine back. We plan on doing some material tests but the plan is to hot glue the pennies on to the dress.

With the bright lights of the runway gleaming on the dress it will reflect off of the pennies giving it a dramatic shine.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of this concept because it is a unique concept and I think it will be interesting to see how the execution of the dresses will turn out.

    I think the shine of the pennies will be very interesting to see on the runway and will really help relay the message you are saying about this concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the concept of this dress and the message behind it,so cleaver and will definitely get people thinking.
    I like the first sketch with the $ sign and especially the hat.It would be really cool if the entire dress was covered with pennies,it would look really dramatic.
    Can't wait to see how it will turn out!

    -Dane B.

    ReplyDelete