Monday, January 31, 2011

Blog 5 Sarah and Kari

 
What is my story?
For my dress design I chose to say:
“Less is More”.
My concept is the notion that simplicity and clarity lead to good design.
The origin of the phrase comes from the 19th century. It is first found in print in “Andrea del Saro’s” poem in 1855:
“Who strive - you don’t know how the others strive To paint a little thing like that you smeared Carelessly passing with your robes afloat,- Yet do much less, so much less, Someone says - so much less! Well, less is more, Lucrezia.”
What is my concept?
Every design should have simplicity in its complexity. The less distraction the viewer’s eye has the better the design. For example type. It should catch the reader’s eye, but also should be legible. The headline should clearly show its difference from the body type. If the designer chooses a different font, its weight or size, but it is important to keep the harmony, so the viewer’s eye can tell the connection.
What materials am I using?
I want to use different medien. The dress will be made out of fabric, which should be light in material and easy to wear. The cut should be a straight sillouhette with pockets in the front and a draped scarf worn over the head as a hood. The back of the dress will show the back and it will have mid-length over the knie.
The print will be made with different medien and styles. The front of the dress will have a complex look and will cause confusion. The type will be all over the dress, it should not be legible. The print will be done with patatoe print, cut outs, painting and other. I want to use different colors, gray, different purples and black on a white fabric.
The back of the dress will be simple white, no print or design will be on the fabric. I want to show how important it is to stay with the phrase “Less is more”, that a well organized, well thought out, but simple design can tell a bigger story, then a complex design, which can cause confusion. The model will have written on her back, which is shown the phrase: “Less is More” with paint, which should be the emphazising point of view.

1 comment:

  1. I like this concept overall. As a society, I think we tend to forget about this idea and always try to overdo things. Sometimes the simplest things can be beautiful and can get the point across. As for the dress itself, I like the idea of a simple silhouette and the draped scarf as a hood (as kind of an unexpected element). I also like the idea to use unconventional methods such as a potato to make your prints. Have you decided what typeface(s) you're going to use? I think a sans serif would help your concept better than a serif because the extra elements of the letterforms can become even more distracting.
    (-Sara Matsuzaki)

    ReplyDelete